Monday, June 3, 2013

My Story (Part 4)

I finish my drink and decide to head back to my quarters. Tonight is too introspective of a night for me to be out in public.  I turn down the hallway and hear footsteps behind me. Well, it’s a busy station. No reason for alarm. I continue on my way, punching in the code for my door. It closes behind me, and I punch in the lock code again.  There; my door is locked now. I sit down on the sofa and put my feet up.  I rest my head on the cushion behind me and close my eyes. Perhaps it’s time to take a rest.

                I stand over her unconscious body. I could kill her; I should kill her. One less Amarrian to enslave another one of us; but I love her still. Even after everything, I still love her. I pace back and forth, do I do it? Can I really kill her? I sigh, I know I can’t. I hit her with the pistol once more, and start walking. Hopefully I’ll make it to the next town before she wakes up. From there, buy my way onto the first transport off-world and I’m free. I’ll never be a slave again.  I pull the hood up on the stolen coat and set myself to walking. It’s a long way to the next town. It’s dark by the time I get there, but the Transports run constantly. First one’s to Caldari space. Not somewhere I particularly want to go to, but it’s better than here. I pay my way, get on and settle in. I’ve got a long journey ahead of me, and a lot to think about.

I wake up and glance at the clock. Damn, I only got about 30 minutes. Well, I guess it’s time to get moving again. I stand and walk to the ship hangar attached to my quarters.  I could probably fit a mission or two in before anything interesting starts happening. I step into my capsule and plug in. Just another day in the office – right?  I smile widely as I feel the pod become part of me…or I part of it. Not really sure which would apply.  I decide on my Rifter today, I haven’t taken it out in a while. I speak with my agent quickly as I’m preparing the ship. Hmmm, Angel Cartel again? Do they never get tired of being pulverized? Ah well, simple enough to handle.  I undock and warp to the mission beacon, and decide on some music for my missioning today.  I see the pirates as I drop out of warp, and lock them up. I approach the first one, deciding on the one on the left. I cycle my guns once and alpha-strike him. These Angels really need better defenses. I quickly change trajectory and engage the second pirate. Those two dispatched, I get ready to take on the next group. Same thing with them, they barely even put up a fight. Time to head back home; that was quicker than expected.  I dock up, and tell my agent that I’ve completed his task. I step out of my pod, leaving it inside the Rifter – I’ll be back for it later. I do believe, however, it’s time for a snack. As I walk down the hallway towards a restaurant on-station, I notice a young couple hidden away in an alcove. Huh, love. I don’t think I’ll ever deal with the mushy emotional crap again.


                I notice the young Matari watching me. I sigh to myself, waiting for him to come over and mock me. This is the first Matari I’ve seen since I left Amarr, and I’ve been dreading it. I was always told that I was denied my tattoos as a way to keep me enslaved; because no Matari would ever accept me without them. He approaches me, and sits at my table. I keep my eyes pointed towards my drink, hoping that he’ll get the hint that I know I’m shamed. He greets me pleasantly enough, and I politely respond. He asks me if I used to be a slave. I look up before I can stop myself and blink. He points at my wrists. Curses! My sleeves are rolled up. I pull them down quickly to hide the scars, but he reaches across and stops me. “Why hide your courage?” My jaw drops. What is he talking about? I guess he must have realized that the blank stare of confusion I was giving him meant I had no blinking clue what he was talking about. He smiled at me and explained that being denied my birthright like I had been was seen by some as a mark of courage, rather than one of shame. He spoke like I should be proud of my past, and prouder still that I’ve escaped it. I couldn’t believe the things he was saying…they’re too good to be true. Maybe one day my own will actually accept me, blank and all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment